Knoxville Daily Photo will post one photo per day taken from the Knoxville/Knox County, Tennessee area. Knoxville is the city of my birth, the place where I work, and the largest city near our hometown. It's a wonderful community in which to raise our family. It's really a beautiful place . . . . at least I think so.

I am not a professional photographer; I call myself a point & shoot photographer. I have had a genuine love for and interest in photography since childhood. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S600 ~ which I love for many reasons that I won't list here. Sometimes I use my old camera which is a Nikon Coolpix 5900.

Photography is something that I enjoy immensely. My photographs & albums are treasured above all other material things I own. The memories that are captured and preserved through my camera are so precious.

I am glad that I have discovered City Daily Photo and started a photo blog. It's an honor to share my little corner of the world with those who find themselves here. Enjoy looking around my blog, and welcome to all who visit.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Long's Drug Store

Our family loves to visit Long's Drug Store in Knoxville. This drugstore seems to be pulled right out of an episode of the Andy Griffith Show. It opened in 1956 and has been a favorite in Knoxville ever since. You can order all sorts of homemade foods from the grill or even enjoy a milkshake, malt, or coke float. It's nice to have a reminder of how things were in simpler times. Here is a photo of my husband, daughter, and son on a recent visit to Long's. Of course, I'm behind the camera!

16 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

I love this place! We have Long's Drug Stores in Ca (although I think my mom told me recently that they were bought out by CVS or something) but our Long's stores were just chain stores, not cool like yours!
You have a beautiful family :)

Hope said...

Hi Tanya,
Thanks for the comment...Yes, this Long's Drug Store isn't in a chain or anything like that. It's definitely one of a kind. You literally feel like you've stepped back in time when you walk through the doors. It's wonderful!

Debbie Courson Smith said...

We had one like that in my small home-town growing up, I sure do miss it.

Janet said...

I can see why you like it! Maybe some more drugstores will bring the soda fountains and grills back.

Knoxville Girl said...

I really like their malts and cheeseburgers. Your family sure looks happy to be there.

crittoria said...

That looks like a wonderful store!! We don't have anything like it around here...

Petrea Burchard said...

I was thinking of the Long's Tanya mentioned. Yours is way better!

Louis la Vache said...

A REAL old-fashion drug store with a soda fountain!
GREAT! "Louis" is very happy to read it survived!

Jim Klenke said...

I would love to sit at the counter during lunch. Give me a burger and a chocolate shake please.

Kala said...

thats realllly interesting - I did not know Longs Drugs was all over the states. We have a bunch here!!!

Z said...

Coke floats! I don't actually know what the original version is, but I like the combination of chocolate ice cream with coke. Sounds weird, but tastes oh-so-good! Milkshakes are yummy as well!

I'm glad to see this place doing well. Is there a particular theme to the photos on the wall above the Coke dispenser?

Hope said...

Kala....just wanted to clarify....this Long's Drug Store is one-of-a-kind. It's not part of a chain; it's a family-owned business. When you walk through the doors of this drug store, you literally feel like you've stepped back in time!

Hope said...

Z...the photos look to be of famous folks who have visited Long's Drug Store....lots of sports personalities!

valeria said...

Wow, looks like you are in a film... You know, in Europe we've seen so much of american cinema that certain places became so familiar, like road motels, cafés where the girl comes around to fill your big coffee cup...
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. Oh, and what did you buy at Long's??

Hope said...

Thanks Valeria for visiting my blog!

Our meal was delicious...the usual type diner/grill food you might order.

I had a homemade tuna salad sandwich with tomato.
Husband had a bacon cheeseburger.
Son had a scrambled egg sandwich on toast.
And daughter had a hamburger with ketchup only.

All with potato chips and Cokes!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Great photo! You have a beautiful family!



10/21/08 ~ Thank you to Leedra from Photography by Leedra


10/23/08 ~ Thanks so much to Tanya from Around Roanoke Daily Photo Blog

10/23/08 ~ Thanks also to Laurie from Glimpses of South Pasadena and your very kind words (to follow) . . .

"With gratitude and great pleasure I would like to pass the award to these photography bloggers:

Hope of Knoxville Daily Photo. Hope can squeeze images out of her Nikon Coolpix that will astonish you. The photographs of her kids capture the essence of childhood and a mother's love with the same poignancy and joy of the paintings of Mary Cassatt..."


Tanya and Laurie . . . . I am truly honored and flattered that you have chosen me to receive this award. Sincere thanks to both of you for this award and your nice comments!



10/28/08 ~ Sincere thanks to JM of Oeiras and Environs Daily Photo who has given this award to me. I am truly honored and will enjoy passing this award on to others.

11/4/08 ~ Thanks so much to Sean Claes of Kyle, Texas Daily Photo for giving this award to me, also. It's a great honor and I appreciate it so much!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map