Knoxville Daily Photo will post one photo per day taken from the Knoxville/Knox County, Tennessee area. Knoxville is the city of my birth, the place where I work, and the largest city near our hometown. It's a wonderful community in which to raise our family. It's really a beautiful place . . . . at least I think so.

I am not a professional photographer; I call myself a point & shoot photographer. I have had a genuine love for and interest in photography since childhood. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S600 ~ which I love for many reasons that I won't list here. Sometimes I use my old camera which is a Nikon Coolpix 5900.

Photography is something that I enjoy immensely. My photographs & albums are treasured above all other material things I own. The memories that are captured and preserved through my camera are so precious.

I am glad that I have discovered City Daily Photo and started a photo blog. It's an honor to share my little corner of the world with those who find themselves here. Enjoy looking around my blog, and welcome to all who visit.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kay's Ice Cream

Husband and I took our daughter out to Kay's Ice Cream in South Knoxville on Saturday just for fun. Our son had a sleep-over and birthday party with a friend. So...the three of us decided to do something a little different. We had hamburgers & french fries, and daughter had a hot dog and a rainbow-swirled ice cream cone. The old-fashioned-grill/diner kind of food! We're already planning a return visit, and next time we'll take our son along too!

14 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

The sign even looks old fashioned. I'll take a waffle cone of chocolate chip cookie dough please...two scoops, I would take three but I am on a diet.

Hope said...

Hi Jim,

Actually, the sign is very old! Kay's Ice Cream shops have been around for decades. This is the only remaining one in Knoxville. There used to be a figure of a little boy climbing that ladder trying to reach the ice cream!

Tanya Breese said...

Oh I love that kind of food! And that sign is cool. So what happened to the little boy on the ladder?
Isn't it fun to have one on one time with the kids?!

Hope said...

I'm not really sure what happened to the "little boy" climbing the ladder....the sign is so very old that I guess that part of the sign wasn't safe anymore....that he might fall to the ground and hurt someone.

Yes...it is fun to have one-on-one time with the kids individually. We try to do that as often as possible.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

That little boy probably disappeared to that place where all the "big boys" at JB restaurants in our part of the country went. We miss them!

Knoxville Girl said...

Frighteningly, I could probably eat that big an ice cream cone. I'm an ice cream junkie, help me!

Hope said...

LOL, Knoxville Girl! I'm the same way. This is my 3rd post involving an ice cream shop in Knoxville! I've posted a photo from Bruster's, Twisters, and now Kay's. Too bad Mayfield Dairy is so far away in Athens, TN....or I'd post a photo from there. Our family has gone on the dairy tour, of course!

Ken Mac said...

love it! is this an old or new business?

Hope said...

Hi Ken Mac! I knew you would like this sign....I was hoping you would visit my blog today!

This is an old business! It's the last of the Kay's Ice Cream shops in Knoxville. At one time there were several Kay's throughout the area. This shop has been around for as long as I remember....and well, I'm in my forties.

Mind you, only the business is old.
Not me! I have 2 young children to raise....and they definitely keep me young.

Neva said...

I am with tanya....love that kind of food and the sign is awesome...your spot in the world looks fabulous...thanks for visiting...I love the fisherman sculpture too!

Anonymous said...

Looks so good! I'd love to go! The colorful ice cream matches the colorful dress!

humanobserver said...

I wish I were there...

Eric said...

They just don't make signs like they used too.
Oh my... I sound like my dad!

:-)

Hope said...

Eric...LOL! The older I get (in my 40's) I become more and more like my parents. Sigh. Not such a bad thing , though, really. :)



10/21/08 ~ Thank you to Leedra from Photography by Leedra


10/23/08 ~ Thanks so much to Tanya from Around Roanoke Daily Photo Blog

10/23/08 ~ Thanks also to Laurie from Glimpses of South Pasadena and your very kind words (to follow) . . .

"With gratitude and great pleasure I would like to pass the award to these photography bloggers:

Hope of Knoxville Daily Photo. Hope can squeeze images out of her Nikon Coolpix that will astonish you. The photographs of her kids capture the essence of childhood and a mother's love with the same poignancy and joy of the paintings of Mary Cassatt..."


Tanya and Laurie . . . . I am truly honored and flattered that you have chosen me to receive this award. Sincere thanks to both of you for this award and your nice comments!



10/28/08 ~ Sincere thanks to JM of Oeiras and Environs Daily Photo who has given this award to me. I am truly honored and will enjoy passing this award on to others.

11/4/08 ~ Thanks so much to Sean Claes of Kyle, Texas Daily Photo for giving this award to me, also. It's a great honor and I appreciate it so much!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map